True leaders are responsible for both WHAT (Performance-driven) gets done and HOW (Values-based) those results are accomplished. They create value for the organization, its owners and its employees AND they do it in a way that engages people and inspires them to perform their best. HOW results are achieved becomes as important as WHAT results are achieved.
- Is there a set of consistently applied values that guide peoples’ actions?
- Are results achieved with, or at the expense, of others?
- Does the organization succeed in the short-run only to put its long-term viability at risk?
- Are people engaged and committed or are they run over or de-valued?
- Is everyone shown respect?
Does everyone behave with honesty and integrity?
- Do differing opinions count or are they disregarded?
- Do people feel valued and do they have the opportunity to contribute their best?