Questions to Jumpstart Your 2018
Happy New Year!
I hope you finished 2017 on a high note and are and getting ready for a great 2018.
In that spirit, we’ve pulled together a set of “reflection” questions that we often pose to the leaders we work with. They may help guide your thinking as you trudge through the cold and snow and head back to work this week. If you have thoughts on any of these and how they apply to your organization, please share them in the comments section below.
1. What are the Top 3 Goals for your organization for 2018?
- How well does everyone on your team know them? (Here’s a quick test from our Strategy-to-Execution white paper: Play 3-on-3: Have each member of your team write what they think the top 3 goals are for your team and/or organization. Compare your list to their list…how did you do?)
- How will you measure success in achieving those goals?
- What are the key activities you need to undertake to achieve those goals?
- What needs to change about how you spend your time to accomplish those goals?
2. What are the primary barriers you’ll face in achieving those goals?
- How will you deal with them/overcome them?
3. What are the key capabilities you need to build in your team to accomplish those goals? You might look at Leader as Organizational Architect, Part 1 for some ideas.
4. What capabilities do you personally need or want to build in 2018?
5. What “thinking” (mental models, assumptions, perceptions, beliefs) do you need to change or challenge to achieve your best? You might find Leaders Challenge Their Own Mental Models a useful starting point.
What do you think?
What questions are you considering as you start 2018? What would add to the list?
I hope these questions help you prepare for a great 2018 and beyond.